Netflix Instant is coming to the entire Linux Community!

Netflix

I spent the entire last week networking at OSCON 2011 (Open Source Convention) in addition to running the Ubuntu Booth. One of the excellent networking opportunities I had was to sit down for about fifteen minutes with two engineers from Netflix who happen to use Ubuntu personally and when I called Netflix out for not having a solution to make Netflix Instant work on all Linux systems they told me that in fact Netflix has some engineers working on a proprietary client for Linux that should be available in the next 12 months.

The engineers from Netflix were hardcore Linux users themselves and advocates of Open Source and shared my frustration that Netflix had not made headway a lot sooner. They indicated that although work is underway it is not a priority project which is why it may take up to 12 months.

For obvious reasons (non-disclosure agreements etc.) I cannot divulge the Netflix employees names but I’m happy they did even tell me of this excellent progress they are making and how internally they are standing up for the Linux community.

Comments

1. Todd Kennedy says

Well it’s available for ChromeOS which is linux based, so why rewrite to a native client if you already have a browser plugin. What is ChrtomeOS using that other linux systems cant?

• Anonymous says

Linux based devices are able to use the DRM based on hardware. That makes it unusable for linux right now.

2. Todd Kennedy says

• Anonymous says

3. Todd Kennedy says

• Anonymous says

4. grandslambert says

I think there is a company policy to say “it is coming” but to always say it is not a priority and not provide any solid dates. To hear “within 12 months” is promising, but I would still like to see solid dates.

5. Jeff0658 says

I love Linux, it’s free and so much fun customizing it. Unlike Windows or Mac, you can do what you want, and Ubuntu looks great! I called Netflix tonight and they have no set date on Linux support, the guy on the other end of the phone didn’t even know what an OS was when I mentioned it. Blah to you Netflix, your so anal!

6. GK says

good to know, The only reason I still use blockbuster is bcos they use adobe streaming instead of silverlight. There is the hope that one day adobe streaming might someday work on linux compared to a dead surity of not-ever by silverlight. My current use-case is still mail-by DVD and i’ve avoided streaming bcos I don’t want to patronize non-cross-platform DRM solutions.

So if netflix beats BB to supporting Linux I’d switch.

7. urielvii says

Also you can to threaten Netflix of a massive intrusion of their servers.
    They only want to annoy with more political issues.

Trackbacks