PAM Face Authentication (pam-face-authentication) is a pluggable authentication module designed for facial authentication. The module works much like the Android Face Authentication feature but can be used on Ubuntu 12.04 or other distros if you choose to compile from source.
The project maintainer is currently looking for more contributors as they have a lot of work planned including:
- Large parts should be rewritten using the C++ bindings of OpenCV
- The face authentication should be abortable by pressing ESC upon login
- Enabling/disabling should be possible using one-click buttons
- Recognition might be improvable under bad light conditions
- The pre-processing of images before recognition should be improved in order to attain higher accuracy.
- The Qt-GUI can be heavily improved. Currently it has not a really professional look
- Implement tracking and registration with minimal user supervision
- Create a dataset to evaluate the performance of authentication methods
PAM Face Authentication can be found at: http://code.google.com/p/pam-face-authentication/
I really think this open source project has great potential and look forward to testing it more when support in the PPA lands for Ubuntu 12.10. Additionally I would like to point out that there is now an app for Live Wallpapers on Ubuntu which means we have two different features of Android that have landed in Ubuntu albeit unofficially.